Friday, January 28, 2011

Food Trip: Banapple Pies and Cheesecake at Katipunan

One Monday evening, my friends and I wanted to go to Tomas Morato Ave. in order to have dinner at Uno Restaurant. However, circumstances beyond our control prevented us from doing so. And since the natives were already very hungry by 9pm, we decided to have dinner in Banapple Pies and Cheesecake along Katipunan Avenue.

To be precise, there are two branches of Banapple along this stretch of road, one in each side. So whichever direction you might be going, its always on the way. We stopped at the bigger branch (I believe its also the newer branch) of the two.
interior
decors and lamp
The decor of Banapple is quite cozy and homey with cute tables and chairs accented with baubles on shelves. And if you look closely at the ceiling lights, you'd see the banapple logo incorporated in its design (a fact which my friend Cho brought to my attention).
Migs Gallabergher
Creamy Chicken Pie
Ian ordered the Migs Gallabergher (Php 150) which is actually one of our favorite offerings in Banapple. (Personally I think its the melted cheese and gooey mozzarella combo that makes it a winner.) I wanted to try something different and I wasn't really that hungry - so I ordered the Creamy Chicken Pie (Php 100). Can I just say that I love this pie? It's very, very good! But I wasn't a fan of the potato salad that came with it. You can actually order the pie alone and it would be cheaper (I think around Php 60). So if you're not that into potato salads, just skip it and order the pie. (One of my friends liked the potato salad though, so perhaps its just a matter of taste.) 

Grandma's Corn Chowder (Php 70)
Breaded Fillet of Cream Dory (Php 160)
Savory Tuna Pie (Php 100)
I think this is the Herbed Chicken Rolls with Basil Cream Sauce (Php 160)
Hickory Smoked Barbecued Country Ribs
Salpicao Rafael (Php160)
Once my friends arrived to join Ian and I for dinner, they ordered a ton of food! Hehe. Well four friends came to join us so of course they ordered a lot. :) I wasn't able to get to taste most of their food (because, well, it's THEIR food) just a bite here and there. The Savory Tuna Pie was also good and is a good alternative to the chicken. The Hickory Smoked Barbecued Ribs were good! It was faintly reminiscent of the steak sauce that can be bought in Racks but at Php 155, I think the ribs delivered. The Salpicao Rafael was good as well, but it reminded me more of adobo than salpicao. Perhaps its because I mostly associate salpicaos with a LOT of garlic but this dish didn't have as much as I expected.
baskets of muffins
Banapple also sells muffins and cookies by the basket loads. I love muffins so I always make it a point to buy a few whenever I come by (My favorite being the orange poppy seeds muffin). The muffins cost Php 50 each. 

fangirl moment: me with Angel Aquino
While we were there, we actually saw Angel Aquino come in. I think she bought a whole cake or pie to go. So while she was waiting for her order, I asked her if I can get my picture taken with her and she agreed. :) She was a class act - very gracious and friendly. 

All in all, Banapple Pies and Cheesecakes is definitely one of my "go-to" restaurants for comfort food. Sure, some dishes are more memorable than others but overall, the good more than outweighs the bad. For the reasonable price and for the good food, I would definitely come back.

206 and 225 Katipunan Ave, Blue Ridge
Quezon City, Metro Manila
(02)4382675/4392675

No comments:

Post a Comment